Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Daytimer


Everyone has their vices. For me, it's dry lips. I have to have lip balm within arms reach wherever I am. I probably have about 10 sticks in strategic places throughout our small house and then one in each car and of course another in my purse.

Another vice I have is my Daytimer. I can't go far without it in my hand. The cover is black leather with a zipper to keep loose contents together. Inside it, I have an old mechanical pencil with my name on a piece of tape wrapped around the top. The pencil is over 20 years old. The leather has lost it's luster from holding it so much and the zipper has finally given out. This is probably my 3rd cover in over 25 years of carrying one. I get the refill every year around this time for the next year. I think I'll have to order another cover this year too. This daily planner that is only about the size of a woman's wallet, goes with me from room to room in my house and then gets carried off to most anywhere I go when I leave the house. I even have to make sure that when I purchase a new purse, that it will fit comfortably inside it.

One time I misplaced it for about a month and nearly went out of my mind trying to figure out what I had to do day to day. You see, I use it to write every detail of my wherabouts, plans and to dos! It knows me better than I can remember myself. It's my secretary, my event planner, life coach, and my brain. I've replaced the lead in the pencil more than I can remember. (I don't keep a record of that.) Often, I wonder how anyone can live without one! They must have an incredible capacity to recall events, appointments, and important things to do. Not me!

My particular design has a full week on two facing pages. I can see at a glance what my week will look like. It also has times imprinted down the middle of each day so I can enter events at the precise time that they occur between the hours of 9 and 5. I also have my personal method of using it. I put lists on the left side of each day. Personal events to the left of the times and family events to the right. Then what happens in actuality gets recorded further to the right on each day. Some say it's a little OCD to put everything on paper. I consider it my own brand of organization. It works for me and it's fool proof.....that is if I look at it. You would think after 25 years, I'd be accustomed to looking at it frequently. But there are times that I get so busy with a routine day's events that I forget to review it to see what's next. I guess I'll have to write that in somehow.....'look at Daytimer!'

I need my Daytimer like I need my lip balm. Without them I would shrivel up! So next time you see me, all you have to do is ask me where my Daytimer or lip balm are, and I can draw them out faster than a cowboy in a western draws his pistol!